Thursday, July 28, 2016

Write Like This - by Kelly Gallagher Review

I checked out Write Like This nearly two years ago from our school's library. (Sorry to my fellow teachers... but no one else has been asking for it.) It sat in my bedroom for a year, but after a great district workshop on writing WITH your students, I felt compelled to pick it up. If nothing else, I needed to get it back to the school.

The first chapter was slow for me. I knew what Kelly Gallagher was explaining. I buy into teachers modeling writing.  But, as I kept reading, I was more and more inspired and more reflective of my inadequacies. I didn't model as much as I thought I did.

The book is chunked into different writing purposes:

  • Express and Reflect
  • Inform and Explain
  • Evaluate and Judge
  • Analyze and Interpret
  • Take a Stand/Propose a Solution
Within in of the sections, Kelly gives strategies, examples, HIS samples, his revisions, and his students' writing. My brain exploded; this man is a genius. I wasn't doing enough. I was only scratching the surface in my lessons and units.  I could be doing so much more, and I need to show my students more of my own writing.

I'm going to lend the book to a fellow teacher and BUY MY OWN copy.

I'm actually really excited. I'm already writing articles for a magazine, books, cartoon series, and a movie script. Bring it into the classroom!! 

I loaned the book to another teacher on my campus, and as we talked (and spent the day together during the summer), I realized that I could even bring in my writing portfolio that I compiled in college with a professor.  I could bring in those magazines with my articles. I could bring in my works in progress - I have SEVERAL!

Each year, I want to do more and to do better than the year before. I know my kids will benefit.  So will I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment