Thursday, June 16, 2016

Thankful for professional development

Have you actually been thankful for a professional development workshop?

When I was in the corporate world, I begged for training. I asked and got denied. It was really frustrating, and lack of training opportunities was a key component to me leaving corporate. 

I work in Coppell, Texas, and our training opportunities have continually satisfied and built my knowledge base as a teacher.  However this year, I think the workshops have really been a godsend for my current place in my teaching career. I went to 4 days for mentor training and supporting new teachers. What a perfect role for me to step into! 

I'm also attending reading/writing workshops designed to refresh my reading and writing passions to bring it back into the classroom.  We are given time to read and write. We are back in the student seat, feeling all those feels.

Now I have a community of teachers who are just as passionate about real reading and writing in their lives.  It's not just something we stand up and teach students. We live it outside of school as well. For this I am thankful.

I knew this was the path for my life and my students, but I have felt like I've been swimming upstream. I'm not swimming alone. For that, I am thankful.

1 comment:

  1. <3<3<3<3 So glad to know there are people just as passionate about reading (and writing) as I am!!!

    ReplyDelete